Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Some Random Thoughts of a Novice


After due consideration, I joined the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) about a month ago. I am new in this game. I joined the AAP on the premise that it was a party with a difference. I thought the new
party i.e. the AAP will provide a desired place and space to well meaning people to join hands to work for much needed development and well-being of the common man of the country through good administration and governance. It is gratifying to note that the AAP and its volunteers, workers and supporters are fully involved and dedicated to meet the challenges and deliver to the benefit and advantage of the Aam Aadmi. Let us wish them all success in the years to come.

My first impression of political life is that it is not an easy job. No one promotes anyone but oneself. One has to create space for
oneself by pushing others. Most of the slogan-shouting politicians are not necessarily committed and even knowledgeable.  To remain visible and in the news is yet another trait which the politicians tend to cultivate with an added zeal.  One has to be thick skinned to survive in public life. I am reminded of an anecdote from the autobiography of EAM K. Natwar Singh when PM Indira Gandhi advised him, in a lighter vein, at his joining the public life, to become thick skinned rather than changing to khadi attire. These are some of my random thoughts at this initial stage. I have joined politics with a clear conviction to serve the society, particularly the weaker sections, honestly and diligently. I want to be a politician with a difference as my party AAP rightly claims to be a party with a difference. Though I am yet to know and interact with the bosses and leadership at the higher echelons of the party yet, at the functional level, I have found all of them very cooperative and accommodative. The AAP volunteers are the real force and are the backbone of the party. I am open to listen and learn in the process.
With regard to my diplomatic background, let me refer to the traditional definition of a diplomat which says ‘a diplomat is a person who is sent to another country to tell lies about his country.’ But frankly, throughout my diplomatic career, I did not believe in this dictum. I tried and did my best to be truthful and sincere not only in my personal dealings but also in my work and performance as a diplomatic representative of my great country. I learnt from the experience and guidance of my diplomatic gurus like President K.R. Narayanan, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar and followed Foreign Secretary T.N. Kaul’s assertions in his book “Ambassadors need not lie”.  Similarly in politics and public life, I would tend to negate the often repeated assertion that politics is a dirty game. I will tend to support that gentlemen should join politics with noble intensions to clean the system by using the Jhadoo (Broom) of the AAP.

I solicit all round support and encouragement in this task.



1 comment: